Monday, 27 October 2008

The gloves are off

A few months ago we covered the topic of disposable gloves and the fact that they can cause skin irritations for certain people, making them unwearable. Well a story in today’s Metro - you’ve got to read something to pass the time on the tube – highlights a real life example of this.

The poor chap in question was a chef who first discovered he was allergic to water – ouch – but then when he took to wearing latex gloves to overcome this… discovered he was also allergic to them as well! Talk about bad luck.

As we covered in our article, this is still a concern for some people and work is constantly being undertaken to try and develop gloves that won’t cause these problems. However, the final quote in the story, by Nina Goad of the British Association of Dermatologists, outlines that information about the condition was limited, saying 'we do not yet fully understand the precise mechanisms that cause the reaction.’

No comments: